We are excited to announce that Skyland has hired a new director who is joining the existing camp leadership team.
“We performed a diligent search in 2016 to find someone with deep experience in girls residential camping, as well as someone who would understand and embrace Skyland’s unique culture and rich history,” said Sherry Brown, Co-Owner and Executive Director. “This was particularly important given the expected 2017 departure of Madi Weisberg, a much loved and highly-valued member of Skyland’s leadership team who has moved to Montana to explore new adventures.”
Please join us in welcoming Skyland’s new Camp Director, Wendy Burns!
“The first time I sat on the back steps of the Big House I fell in love with Skyland,” said Wendy. “I am over-the -moon excited about this summer; getting to meet girls and staff, having the opportunity to be a part of the centennial season, and being allowed to help guide Skyland into its next hundred years.”
Wendy will work side-by-side with Skyland’s year-round team to help enrich each camper’s summer experience and provide thoughtful leadership and support to all of our staff.
“Wendy will be a beautiful addition to the Skyland team,” says Kay Anderson, Senior Director. “We’re simply thrilled that she has joined us to help usher Skyland into its second century of operation. She has tremendous alignment with Skyland’s mission, and a passion for youth development, girls leadership and outdoor education. Her breadth and depth of experience are impressive, but even more so is her love of the camp world and the power that it has in shaping girls, families and future generations.”
Before joining us, Wendy served as the Director of Outdoor Programming and Property for the Girl Scouts Carolinas Peaks to Piedmont council. Over two years, she helped to increase camp use and improve programming for their girls. She also served as the VP of Membership and Resident Director for the Girl Scout Council of Vermont, and was a middle school counselor for Stowe Middle School in Vermont.
She holds a bachelor’s degree in liberal studies and a Master of Education degree in school counseling from Vermont College. She is a licensed school counselor and a certified Red Cross and Archery instructor. She served as an American Camp Association (ACA) Standards Review Board Member for two and a half years, and currently volunteers as a Standards Visitor for ACA’s Southeast Region.
Wendy was recently recognized by the American Camp Association as a Pioneer of Camping at their national awards ceremony in New Mexico, receiving merit for her 30+ years of service within the camping community.
Getting to know Wendy (in her own words):
- I was born and raised in North Carolina, and spent more than 20 years in Vermont before moving back to Western North Carolina in 2015.
- I love to canoe and kayak, and want to learn to sail and paddle board.
- I would spend all day in the water swimming and playing if I could.
- My favorite job – before this one – was as a wilderness counselor working with youth-at-risk. My favorite part of the job was the canoe and backpack trips with teens. We went out for 28 days and were typically only resupplied (saw people) once during that time. The rest of the time, we paddled or hiked, setting up a campsite each night in a new locale. It was amazing!
- I have a 23-year-old daughter who is living her dream of working in publishing in NYC. She grew up watching me work at camp and used to help me check groups at bedtime when she was little.
- I love to travel. My most recent adventure was seeing Ireland for the first time. I loved it so much I will be taking my daughter there this fall so she can experience it.
- Three of my favorite things about summer camp are the sound of girls settling in for the night with giggles and stories from their day; those moments in the early morning when the dining staff are bustling around and good smells are coming from the kitchen; and of course, the snap, crackle and smoke of a campfire! Best thing ever!
Please join us in giving Wendy a warm Skyland welcome. Her email is Wendy@SkylandCamp.com and her mailing address is Wendy Burns – Skyland Camp for Girls – PO Box 128 – Clyde, NC – 28721. She is looking forward forward to getting to know Skyland’s campers, families, staff members and community members in the coming months.
This New Chapter Includes a Transition by our own Madi Weisberg, Who Will be Greatly Missed!
Madi has helped shape programming, curriculum, staffing models, training and development, as well as many other front-and-center AND behind-the-scenes programs at Skyland. We are forever grateful for the laughter, learning and collaboration Madi inspired and we shall miss her upbeat presence and infectious sense of fun. Madi will continue to support Skyland, from her new post in Montana, as the lead coordinator for Skyland’s Centennial Celebration.