Definition of Philanthropy (from merriam-webster.com)
1: Goodwill to fellow members of the human race; especially: active effort to promote human welfare
2: An act or gift done or made for humanitarian purposes
Today is National Philanthropy Day (NPD). Established in 1986, NPD is observed every November 15, and celebrates the charitable work that individuals do to make a difference and create impact in their communities.
And what an impact we have seen in the Skyland community! Today, like many days, we take a moment to reflect and give thanks for the gifts that have been shared with this community over the 100 years.
- Thank you, Volunteers … for sharing your energy, time and talents through landscaping, painting, cleaning, rock wall restoration, horse grooming, tack-cleaning, pool-deck cleaning, tennis court power washing, raking, mucking, and more!! Your love, time, talents and energy make a difference!
- Thank you, Donors … for your generous financial contributions. Your dollars help to support Campership programs that enable girls, who wouldn’t otherwise be able to attend camp, to have a Skyland experience. That is a life-changing opportunity, and your dollars make a difference!
- Thank you, Campers … for supporting the Skyland community, summer after summer, through your enthusiastic and full participation. You embrace new experiences, make new friends, befriend new campers, welcome visitors and strive to be your best selves each and every day. You inspire us all!
- Thank you, Skyland families … for giving your daughters the Gift of Camp. It takes planning, travel coordination, family commitment, dollars, time, energy and LOVE. Your daughters will remember their Skyland summers for the rest of their lives. We are continually inspired by having them in our community each and every summer.
- Thank you, Skyland staff members … for the training and preparation you do BEFORE camp, and the work you do DURING camp to create magical moments for campers and colleagues. By being your best self every waking moment of every day on Skyland Hill, you inspire girls to be stronger, and more confident, creative, and curious. You amaze us with your energy, love, compassion, listening ears, ingenious activity ideas, dancing feet and impromptu songs and learning opportunities.
- Thank you, Skyland alumnae … for keeping the Spirit of Skyland alive through conversations with colleagues, connections with college friends, reunions with Skylanders, and so much more! Every story you tell … counselors who made a difference, campers who changed your life, and your own transformations that occurred BECAUSE of camp … serves not only as support for SKYLAND, but as a testament to the power of a summer camp experience.
From us … to you. THANK YOU! Thank you, alumnae, staff, families, campers, donors and volunteers. Skyland is what it is because of YOU. Your philanthropy is enormous, and it has made such a difference in the lives of girls for more than 100 years.